There’s lots to love about Lucille Ball, her humor, her charm and of course her style. Here are some ways to add a Lucy-look to your closet.
On I Love Lucy, Lucy’s classic dress style was all about cinched waists (super flattering for all figures) and playful, swingy skirts. Shirt dresses (like the one Lucy is wearing above) are comfortable and easy to dress up—pair it with a metallic belt and pumps—or down—no belt and flats. Here are a few cute and cheap 50′s style frocks we found and love:
1) Women’s Chambray Shirtdresses from Old Navy. 100% cotton and 100% cute. A good basic for auditions and on-camera stuff. $34.94
2) Polka Dot Dress from H&M. Pretty dress with pockets that are perfect for stashing your joke notes. $24.95
3) Coeur a la Creme Dress from Mod Cloth. Super sweet like the desert its named after. That heart shaped bust line just screams love for Lucy. $84.99
4) JK2 Square Neck Gingham Dress at YesStyle.com. Kill onstage in this killer coral pink checkered dress. $42.00
Heels are a must-have for any Lucy wannabe. Mastering physical comedy in pumps is no easy feet (see what we did there), yet Lucy did it gracefully and gorgeously.
We know they aren’t always the most stage-friendly shoe but comfortable pumps are possible. Here are some cozy (well, two are cozy for sure, one may require emergency flip-flops) and cute ones to try:
1) Fabrice Pump from Easy Spirit. These basic blacks “look like a pump but feel like a sneaker” and they’re on sale for just $19.99
2) Kan-Kan Ruffle Pump by Fioni at Night at Payless. Stiletto’s aren’t known for comfort but these were too foxy not to feature. $26.99.
3) Marilyn Heel by Born. They aren’t cheap but they’re worth it, you can actually walk around the city in Born brand shoes without tears in your eyes. $140
Lucy’s accessories ranged from exquisite to quirky. Post earrings, glamorous necklaces, and adorable head scarves gave Lucy’s outfits extra personality (as if Lucy needed extra personality).
Here’s some affordable Ms. Ball-like bling to buy:
1) Chain Fringe Bracelet from Forever 21. Sparkle without spending much. $6.80.
2) ASOS Graphic Print Head Scarf from Asos.com. This wrap is a bad hair days BFF. Currently on sale for $6.90.
3) Sparkling Pave Dome Post Earring from Urban Outfitters. Dress up your lobes with these dazzling dots. $16
You can’t talk about Lucy without talking about the color red: her hair, her lips, her nails.
Designer Bill Blass once said, “When in doubt, wear red.” Not only does red draw attention and come in a variety of amazing shades, it’s considered one of the 4 most universally flattering colors. So if you’ve been afraid of red, give it a go with these red-hot products. Go on, don’t be scared, do it for Lucy!
1) Heartbeat Red Nail Polish from Forever 21, $2.80. Truth be told, Forever 21 polish has lasted longer than some high-end expensive brands.
2) Boots No7 Stay Perfect Lipstick-Cherry from Target. Red lips can turn your whole look from “whatever” to “wow!” $9.99
3) Manic Panic Glam Strips-Flaming from Ricky’s $5.99. If you don’t want to go full-on red head these 18 inch hair extensions are a fun way to add some red heat to your hair
You’re now well-equipped to add some Ball to your wardrobe without breaking the bank. Proceed!